Patient Education for Women and Children
For more than 90 years, Baptist Health has been delivering quality healthcare to the citizens of Arkansas. As part of our mission, we are committed to promoting health education like the resources found below. For even more comprehensive health education, visit our health encyclopedia.
Infertility Risk Factors
- Age. Women in their late 30s and older are generally less fertile than women in their early 20s.
- Chronic diseases (diabetes, lupus, arthritis, hypertension or asthma)
- Hormonal imbalance
- Environmental factors (cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption or exposure to workplace hazards or toxins)
- Excessive or very low body fat
- Abnormal Pap smears that have been treated with cryosurgery or cone biopsy
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Fallopian tube disease
- Multiple miscarriages
- History of prostatitis, genital infection or sexually transmitted diseases
- Exposure to hazards on the job or toxic substances, such as radiation, radioactivity, welding and many chemicals, including lead, ethylene dibromine and vinyl chloride
- Cigarette or marijuana smoke
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Hernia repair
- Undescended testicles
- Prescription drugs for ulcers or psoriasis
- Mumps after puberty
Assessment: Breast Cancer Risk
Click here to take the Breast Cancer Risk assessment
Breast Cancer Surgery Questions
- Which type of surgery do you recommend for me? Why?
- Where will the incision be, and how much breast tissue will be removed?
- Will any lymph nodes be removed?
- Will I be able to have breast reconstruction if I have a mastectomy?
- Do you recommend breast reconstruction at the same time of the mastectomy surgery or at a later date?
- Will I need more treatment, such as radiation or chemotherapy, after surgery?
- What type of follow-up care is needed?
- How long will it be before I can go back to my normal activities?
Quiz: Early Breast Cancer Detection
Click here to take the Early Breast Cancer Detection quiz
Assessment: Ovarian Cancer Risk
Click here to take the Ovarian Cancer Risk assessment