By ANNA JUNKANS AND NATALIE BENNETT, CLINICAL DIETITIANS, BHMC-NORTH LITTLE ROCK
In a world where stroke and heart disease are some of the leading causes of death, it is important for individuals to give attention to the care and well-being of the heart.
Foods to Include in a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle
• Fresh fruits and vegetables
• Unsalted nuts and seeds
• Beans and legumes
• Whole grains
• Fish, skinless poultry, plant-based protein alternatives
• Low-fat and fat-free dairy
• Healthy unsaturated fats and oils
Shopping Tips for a Healthy Heart
• Read food labels –– Choose foods with the lowest amount per serving of sodium, saturated fat, and added sugar
• Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables –– Fresh and in season. Frozen for longer-lasting produce. Canned and packed in water, light syrup, or its own juice.
• Try the whole-grain version for extra dietary fiber –– Search for pastas, breads, tortillas, and cereals labeled with “whole grain”
Salt-Free Southwest Seasoning
1 ½ tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika (optional)
Combine all ingredients. Incorporate into food of choice for added flavor.
Black Bean & Corn Salad
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and strained
1 cup fresh tomato salsa
½ tsp cumin (optional)
½ tsp chili powder (optional)
3 dashes cayenne pepper
Pour all ingredients into medium bowl. Mix gently until combined.