Slow traffic. Screaming children. A job interview. A crumbling marriage. Any of these could be a stressful situation. We all face stress in our lives, and some days are more stressful than others. Stress can take its toll on our physical and mental health.
Stress affects most people today, thanks to our fast-paced world and hectic lives. Some stress is normal and can get you going and help you focus. However, too much stress can have a negative effect on your mind and body.
There are things you can do to prevent stress from taking over your life and making health problems worse. Here are some tips to help manage stress:
- Stick to a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, avoid smoking and limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Don’t allow others to make demands or set expectations for you. Say no, and don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself.
- Take time every day just to relax.
- Set realistic goals and expectations for yourself, but understand that you can’t control everything.
- Figure out what causes you stress in your life. Eliminate what you can, and learn how to manage other sources of stress.
- Remind yourself of what you do well and successes that you’ve had.