LSVT LOUD® & LSVT BIG®
People diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease (PD) who may have difficulty with intelligibility, respiration or swallowing. 86% of those with PD have a speech or voice disorder.
Why LSVT LOUD®?
It is a rigorously researched treatment approach focusing on intensive practice for maximal plasticity.
• High effort-progressive resistance, enabling the speech system to work longer
• Repetitions are frequent & intensive
• Force/Resistance increases muscle activation over a longer period of time
• Accuracy is shaped by the therapist
• Fatigue is similar to working out in a gym, but for voice and speech
Research shows that those who have completed a LSVT LOUD® treatment program have significantly louder voices for 2 years following treatment.
LSVT BIG® is an intensive, amplitude-focused physical therapy approach developed from principles of the LSVT LOUD® treatment protocol for Parkinson’s Disease. LSVT® has been scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Why LSVT LOUD®?
LSVT BIG® has been shown to:
- Facilitate faster walking with bigger steps
- Improve balance
- Increase trunk rotation
- Improve activities of daily living
LSVT® is a standardized treatment protocol which is customized to the unique goals of each person. LSVT® can be adapted or progressed in order to meet each person’s needs based on the severity & presenting impairment. LSVT® treatment consists of:
- 16 sessions (4 days a week for 4 weeks)
- Individual 1-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercise
It is essential that LSVT LOUD® and LSVT BIG® be delivered only by a LSVT LOUD® and LSVT BIG® Certified Therapist.