According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “social distancing” means remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings and maintaining a distance of around 6 feet from others when possible.
Purpose of Social Distancing
As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, social distancing is a concept being encouraged in the hope that it will slow down the spread of the epidemic and decrease pressure on the healthcare system.
Implementing Social Distancing Measures
- Reduce the frequency of large gatherings, and limit the number of attendees per gathering (cruises, concerts, conferences, etc.).
- Close short-term facilities as needed
- Encourage staff to work from home (when feasible)
- Avoid dining in restaurants and utilize drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options
- Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits
- Individuals at increased risk of severe illness should consider staying at home and avoid situations of potential exposure.