For most people, simple, everyday tasks and activities are taken for granted – but for those who have experienced physical injury or disease impairment, these skills must be completely relearned.
At the Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institutes in Little Rock and North Little Rock, we offer patients the care they need to help them restore as much function as possible after a major medical event. All inpatient therapy is focused on life after rehab, and revolves around helping patients regain capabilities that will help them hopefully transition back home. During their stay at Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute, patients spend a minimum of three hours a day, five days a week in a mix of therapy sessions customized to their condition, which may include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, recreational therapy and neuropsychology.
Our comprehensive, customized approach to rehabilitative care has led to Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-Little Rock and Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-North Little Rock to be named among the top rehab facilities in the nation for outstanding clinical outcomes. Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-Little Rock is the only facility in Arkansas certified in brain injury, spinal cord injury and amputee rehab from the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), and was also the first CARF-accredited stroke program in Arkansas. Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-North Little Rock has been given the Uniform Data Systems (UDS) Top Performer award for ten years, which recognizes rehabilitation hospitals in the nation who perform in the top 10 percent for clinical outcomes. For a comprehensive overview of our award-winning care, download our annual report.
Our inpatient rehabilitation treats individuals with a variety of diagnoses and impairments, including:
- Brain Injury
- Cardiac Conditions
- Decreased ability to communicate with others
- Impaired ability to swallow
- Impaired balance and/or coordination
- Impaired strength or loss of motion in an extremity
- Impaired ability to perform daily activities such as eating, grooming, dressing or bathing
- Impaired mobility in the home or community
- Neurological Disorders
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Spinal Cord Injury
The inpatient rehabilitation program at Baptist Health focuses on the physical, emotional, psychological and social improvements that will help each individual patient reach their highest level of function and independence.
Team Treatment Approach
The interdisciplinary team at Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute is comprised of highly qualified professionals. Treatment is comprehensive and tailored to each individual patient’s needs. Care is provided by:
- Physicians specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation who manage patients’ medical needs 24 hours a day
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Occupational and Physical Therapists and Speech Language Pathologists who provide comprehensive, individualized treatment programs for a minimum of three hours a day
- Medical Social Workers and Care Coordinators who coordinate each patient’s rehabilitation stay and ensure discharge needs are addressed
- Neuropsychologist who provides services addressing cognition and emotional and behavioral issues
- Clinical Dietician who provides nutritional education and ensures that nutritional needs are met
- Respiratory Therapists
- Adaptive Driving Instructor
- Therapeutic Recreation
Continuum of Care
To continue reinforcement of the strengths and skills that an individual acquires in the inpatient program, arrangements for outpatient therapy or home health services will be made when indicated.
The professionals at Baptist Health rehabilitation have the skills, equipment and facilities to simulate the types of mobility situations that will challenge patients in their homes. With fully-equipped kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms with movable toilets, tubs and showers, we can create situations specific to each patient’s home setting which results in efficient training and better carry-over after discharge.
Services available for outpatient therapy or home health include:
- Medication Therapy
- Pain Management
- Physical Therapy to address general strengthening and endurance, balance, mobility training such as getting in and out of a car or bed, walking training and fall prevention
- Occupational Therapy to address daily living activities such as cooking and dressing as well as energy conservation techniques
- Psychosocial Adjustment Counseling
- Home Equipment Needs Assessment
- Patient and Family Education from rehabilitation nurses and therapists
- Home Exercise and Activity Programs
- Dietary Counseling
- Respiratory Therapy
- Therapeutic Recreation Activities
- Resources for Home and Vehicle Modifications
Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-Little Rock
Baptist Health Rehabilitation Institute-North Little Rock
Patients may be referred to Baptist Health Rehabilitation by physicians, family members, friends or a self-referral. A screening examination may be conducted prior to admission. The cost of treatment is covered as with any hospitalization by Medicare, Medicaid, Workers’ compensation and private insurance carriers.
For additional information on how to begin the admission process or to schedule a tour, call 501-202-7011 for Little Rock, 501-681-0974 for North Little Rock or 1-888-227-8478 for Baptist Health HealthLine.