According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “social distancing” means remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings and maintaining a distance of around 6 feet from others when possible.
Purpose of Social Distancing
As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, social distancing is a concept being encouraged in the hope that it will slow down the spread of the epidemic and decrease pressure on the healthcare system.
Implementing Social Distancing Measures
- Reduce the frequency of large gatherings, and limit the number of attendees per gathering (cruises, concerts, conferences, etc.).
- Close short-term facilities as needed
- Encourage staff to work from home (when feasible)
- Avoid dining in restaurants and utilize drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options
- Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits
- Individuals at increased risk of severe illness should consider staying at home and avoid situations of potential exposure.
For more on social distancing, visit cdc.gov or view the Coronavirus Guidelines for America.